Albert Ellis & Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT)
The REBT Network was established in 2006 to promote Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) and the life & work of its creator, Dr. Albert Ellis, Ph.D. Central to REBT's teachings is the ancient psychological insight of Epictetus, who said, “What disturbs men's minds is not events but their judgments on events.” That idea helped REBT become both an effective, evidence-based psychotherapy and a philosophy of living.
The REBT Network is a public service, news organization designed to provide self-help information, news updates, historical background and educational essays about REBT and the contributions of Dr. Albert Ellis to the field of psychology and philosophy. We sell no products or services.
Dr. Ellis founded an educational and therapy institute in 1959, which is now known as the Albert Ellis Institute. From 2005, up until the time of his death, Dr. Ellis was involved in a legal dispute with the Albert Ellis Institute, which he said was following an agenda that is in many ways inconsistent with Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. The REBT Network is in no way affiliated with the Albert Ellis Institute.
Albert Ellis Ph.D. was a clinical psychologist who trained as a psychoanalyst. Early in his career, he became disillusioned with the slow progress of his clients. He noticed that they got better much quicker once they changed their ways of thinking about themselves and their problems. In 1955 he developed Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT).
Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) is now a widely-practiced, comprehensive, and highly effective form of psychotherapy. In addition to being a proven therapy, REBT offers an approach to life that leads to greater fulfillment and happiness. At the heart of REBT are the concepts of unconditional self-acceptance, unconditional other-acceptance, and unconditional life-acceptance.
- If you are new to REBT, you can read a brief introduction to rational emotive behavior therapy developed by Dr. Ellis in 1955.
- To learn more about Dr. Ellis, you can read the biography of Albert Ellis .
- You can read Dr. Ellis' answers to readers' questions.
- Find out about Dr. Ellis' famous Friday Night Workshops.
- The REBT Library is a knowledgebase for the benefit of therapists, their clients, and the general public. You can learn how to apply REBT to a variety of problems, big and small.
- Albert Ellis has written over 75 books. See a list of highly recommended REBT-based books and tapes, including many by Dr. Ellis.
- A quick guide to some of the best REBT web sites on the web.
- A list of contacts for the REBT Network.
- See the site map for the REBT Network.
- The REBT Resources Website (off site)
- An Overview of Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (off site)
We Welcome Your Input
The REBT Network welcomes your input. Please what information and features you would like to see on the website.